Sunday, October 7, 2012

Youtube Identity and Concept Art


For most, Youtube serves as a poor excuse to put off doing those urgently important things we owe to ourselves and everyone we know to do. We can delight ourselves by watching a sneezing panda while the stress from that unmet deadline manifests itself as a stomach ulcer. There are also good reasons to be on Youtube, or at least that's what I tell myself. One such self-delusional reason to be on Youtube is to learn about concept art. I personally cannot draw very well, but the resources are just irresistible. Here's one guy who can teach you about the subtle differences between male and female noses while also helping to alleviate your insomnia.



An hour of video is uploaded to Youtube every second of every day, adding up to about a decade of video uploaded daily (says this article). Given that, a concept art teacher trying to gain an audience on Youtube has some work to do. First order of business, what might attract viewers to your channel?
If you are teaching art, you have to assume that most who would click your link are interested in learning techniques or in finding something visually stimulating.



An entire blog could focus on the various techniques of getting exposure on the internet, but I want to focus a little bit on how you can keep your audience once you get it. On Youtube, this means getting subscribers. Once a viewer hits that subscribe button they are subject to all of your future uploads until they choose to unsubscribe for some indiscernible reason. What makes someone want to subscribe? This is where your Vlogging identity becomes invaluable. The clip I inserted above, featuring the Youtube personality sinixdesign, is a fairly good example of what you'd be attempting to do. I subscribed to sinix because he is reliable and consistent. Earlier when I said I couldn't draw very well, I may have implied that I don't actually use these tutorials, which is true. When I have more time on my hands I do plan to devote some days to improving my skill so that one day I might draw something that actually gets the intended reaction (i.e. not uncontrollable laughter). Sinix is a resource that I will come back to because he can teach me how to draw whilst keeping my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment